I really want to like Royal Lochnagar.
It’s rich, it’s well made, it has a delicious aroma, it has that strength of flavour and spicy edge that makes non-whisky people pull that face (always a pleasure to watch!)
But… Whenever I buy a bottle, I have one or two glasses from it, and the rest ends up in winter warming Honey and Lemon drinks for when you have a cold. Proper comfort drink.
- Take one unwaxed lemon and cut it in half.
- Take the pointy side and cut the nipple end off so that the segments are just showing through.
- Throw what’s left of the pointy half in the bottom of a mug, and squeeze the juice from the bowl shaped half into the mug with it.
- Dollop on a generous spoonful of honey (Manuka is best, but whatever you have will do).
- Fill to the halfway point with whisky.
- Then top up with water that’s recently boiled, but has just gone off.
- Inhale the aroma.
Obviously you wouldn’t want to use a great single malt in one of these, and I don’t have bad whisky in the house. Royal Lochnagar hits the spot perfectly.